640+ Jobs Available
ASSISTANT COUNTRY DIRECTOR (ACD), (DEMOCRATIC TRANSITION) : Job Detail
- Assistant / Helper
- Non-Profit Organisation
- 7 years
- Document Required
- Job Type
- Full Time
- 11 December, 2014 [ Deadline Expired ]
Apply on Given Link Below
Application Link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_apply.cfm?cur_job_id=51633
Additional Category Democratic Governance
Type of Contract : FTA International
Post Level : P-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 16-Feb-2015
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
Nepal’s peace process has made significant progress to date. The successful second CA election has enabled Nepal to recommence constitution-drafting efforts. However, this does not mean that Nepal is out of its transitional period.
The signatories of the 2006 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) declared it the beginning of a new era of peaceful collaboration, involving forward-looking political resolution of the challenges that had confronted the country, democratic restructuring of the state and fundamental political and socio-economic transformation Though the prospects for any return to outright armed conflict in the near future seems unlikely, there continue to be an array of contentious issues that risk the development gains Nepal has made since the CPA.
The positive momentum created in the transition period needs to be built on to protect development gains and build resilience. Limited resources need to be targeted towards the most strategic actions on the basis of knowledge and analysis from the field, as well as an understanding of local level dynamics.
In the area of transitional support to the Government of Nepal, previous programming has covered: support for participatory approaches to constitution making; support to the Government of Nepal and UNMIN in the registration and verification of the Maoist army combatants; preparations for discharge, discharge and rehabilitation of the Maoist combatants who were minors and late recruits at the time of signing the CPA; assistance with the establishment of the Government of Nepal’s multi-donor trust fund; Rule of Law and Human Rights programming, and support to the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2011-12, UNDP and UN Women led those aspects of the UN System’s planning process regarding peace building and conflict prevention that lead to the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for 2013-2017. Outcomes 8 and 9 of the UNDAF are directly related to transition programming.
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Deputy Country Director, Programme, the Assistant Country Director (Democratic Transition) will head the Democratic Transition Unit and oversee the implementation of UNDP’s transition projects in Nepal. S/he will keep her/himself abreast of all the new developments on all aspects relevant to the implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement and issues relevant to Nepal´s transition.
The Assistant Country Director (Democratic Transition) will work in close collaboration with other UN Agencies and the Resident Coordinators Office, UNDP HQ staff (especially BPPS) and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the transition components of the UNDP program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Ensure the strategic direction and effective implementation of UNDP’s Democratic Transition Programme and strategy;
- Development of strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including the Government of Nepal, UN agencies, donors, international and national NGOs, and other civil society organizations;
- Ensure provision of top quality transition and post-conflict recovery policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Ensure the effective management and strategic direction of the Democratic Transition Unit;
- Promote and prioritize gender and social inclusion considerations in all areas of programme work and unit management.
As a member of the CO management team, ensure the strategic direction and effective implementation of UNDP’s Democratic Transition Programme and strategy through:
- Thorough analysis of the political situation in the country and collaborative development of program plans;
- Identification of strategic and innovative transition program areas that, among others, promote inclusion of Nepal´s multiple identities, to support the Government of Nepal with the implementation of the November 2006 Comprehensive peace Accord (CPA);
- Operationalization of the transition related components of the UNDAF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies;
- Ensuring that UNDP programming integrates Nepal´s transition context.
Development of strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including the Government of Nepal, UN agencies, donors, international and national NGOs, and other civil society organizations:
- Development and implementation of the partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve transition program outcomes;
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society;
- Determination of specific areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Research and analysis on donors, preparation of briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Close collaboration and strategic partnership with the relevant parts of BPPS.
Ensure provision of top quality transition and post-conflict recovery policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to transition program goals;
- Development of strategies and policies to address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for the program staff on issues related to Nepal´s transition;
- Ensure linkages with other UNDP Program Units for mainstreaming of relevant aspects of UNSCR 1325 and other key areas of the CPA in program strategies.
Ensure the effective management and strategic direction of the Democratic Transition Unit and supervision of the Unit staff focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation:
- Lead the strategic planning, development and implementation of the transition programme portfolio to support the implementation of the November 2006 Comprehensive Peace Accord, while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/ CPD;
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the program, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the transition program. Constant monitoring and analysis of the program environment to ensure timely readjustment of the portfolio;
- Work closely with other UNDP Program Units to ensure linkages and synergies;
- Leadership in preparation for audit and timely follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported to senior management;
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports;
- Timely cost-recovery for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Country Office Finance team;
- Active collaboration with the Project Implementation Support Unit (PISU) to ensure timely and quality delivery of development support services;
- Active identification and promotion of programmatic collaboration between the Country Office’s programme thematic focus areas.
- Setting clear results and assessing performance of team members;
- Ensuring constructive and conducive work environment including conflict management;
- Promoting staff skills and technical knowledge development through coaching, mentoring and encouraging staff learning and participation in specialized knowledge networks;
- Active contribution to the development and implementation of the CO human resources Strategy and addressing global staff survey findings as required.
Promote and prioritize gender and social inclusion considerations in all areas of programme work and unit management, in line with the Country Office policy on gender and social inclusion:
- Ensure that all projects under the Democratic Transition Programme prioritize gender and social inclusion considerations, both in terms of mainstreaming gender and social inclusion and setting specific programme targets where appropriate;
- Ensure that management of programme unit and projects is conducted with gender and social inclusion considerations given due priority.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level.
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking;
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Master’s degree in development, political science, social science or any related subject.
- 7 years of experience are required in the field of transition management, peace building, development and post-conflict recovery, at least 5 years of which involved programming in conflict-affected or post-war countries;
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in managing designing, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- Experience of the following areas would be an advantage: dialogue; constitutional development; conflict sensitivity; conflict prevention; information management; gender and peace building;
- Past experience in working with the UN, and UNDP in particular, would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English.
Job By Categories
Job By Industry
- Assistant Specialist Ncell [ Deadline Expired ]
- Specialist - Human Resource Ncell [ Deadline Expired ]
- Sales Officer A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Receptionist at Language Institute A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Ace H.S.S A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Senior Accountant A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- DRR/Climate Change Officer (DRRO) Felm (Nepal) [ Deadline Expired ]
- Information Officer (IO) Felm (Nepal) [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Triyog HS School A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Premier International School A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Senior Database & Monitoring Officer WWF [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Machhapuchhre International School A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Vantage Casinos & Entertainment A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Kathmandu Vidya Kunja School A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Various Jobs at Columbus School A Reputed Company [ Deadline Expired ]
- Chief Executive Officer CEO Nebico [ Deadline Expired ]